Raleigh Avanti 531

hiya guys, what front fork was on these, I had a thunder road, the front fork was rounded shoulders not square. is this design unique to Raleigh, or did other makers like Dawes use the same fork?

I think the rounded type were known as unicrown forks until they became standard. These are brazed forks,the tubes are fitted into a cast crown and fixed by brazing. Very common 83--86 ish.

hiya guys, what front fork was on these, I had a thunder road, the front fork was rounded shoulders not square. is this design unique to Raleigh, or did other makers like Dawes use the same fork?
At this time a lot of companies used parts from their touring bikes fork crowns, lugs, dropouts...

The Avanti started as a lugged fork but moved to a unicrown by 1989. The Ozark and lower were unicrown earlier from 1987, I think.

The Avanti started as a lugged fork but moved to a unicrown by 1989. The Ozark and lower were unicrown earlier from 1987, I think.
yes that's right, but its only a 501 on the Ozark, the avanti had a 531 3 piece affair, I'm sure the maveric had the same fork. I did have a 501 on my thunder road as well. I don't know if it was me though. the thunder road, felt heavier than my 1985 maverick 15, maybe just the balance. how ever, not seen another like it since.. had a Japan headset, cant remember name, beautifully shaped drop outs, I can remember the headset having 2 fingers on it and sellie saddle. was a very pale blue almost grey. was nothing like others I've seen. I've come across 6 or 7 different maverick frames now, if you include the 531s

its a reynolds 531 for on the avanti, thunder road used a unicrown k2, the Ozark had a 501 fork :) om the mk1 versions. the mirage was ezct same tube set lay out on the jig, except complete chromoly frame, the chain stay used the Shimano u brake as well.

the 531 series was dropped for the SPD dynatech range. they should have continued with both.

Back