The British bike thread

Someone on eBay has plenty of interesting old catalogues

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
There was mention of Falcon frames, some where, with wrap around seat stays.
Similar to Carlton frames.

"Elswick-Hopper" on here mentions a connection between Falcon and Raleigh (Carlton).

"Well Bill, where to start. I could just refer you to my book: Elswick-Hopper The story of a great British cycle maker, £18 if you order it from Waterstones, but that would be cheeky. The sequence of events is as follows: Ernie Clements goes bust and takes a job with Roberts Cycle Industries at Smethwick. He becomes works manager and talks management into letting him develop a sports range. According to Frank Clements he and Ernie find a box of old Falcon transfers in the loft at RCI and think it's a good name. So the Falcon brand is born in 1955/6. I actually have a frame with a Falcon/RCI headbadge. Coventry Eagle then move to Smethwick and take over RCI, including Ernie C. Note the owner is now Coventry Eagle - MD Mayo and they like the Falcon idea so incorporate as one of the CE range. On to 1968 and the site is being redeveloped at the same time that Elswick-Hopper is diversifying and has spare factory space. So CE relocates to Barton on Humber, my home town since 1971. Douglas Mayo has a car smash and retires - Ernie buys him out and becomes MD. He renames the firm Falcon Cycles. He then decides the Barton works are a bit old and buys a factory in Brigg, relocating in 1978 (ish). Runs out of money and sells to Elswick-Hopper with a seat on the main board. Persuades them to open a brand new factory in Newport Wales, and in 1983 when he has had enough he sells his shares for the Newport factory - where he has also hired the great Barry Hoban. That venture cost Barry dear when it went bust in the 1990s. So Falcon is now part of Elswick-Hopper Cycles, part of Elswick plc. Then becomes Elswick-Falcon and is finally sold to Casket plc. It has never been part of Raleigh TI though Raleigh TI did supply most of the E-H range from around 1967-1979 on a deal that saw Raleigh badging production on behalf of Elswick-Hopper. The latter was able to undercut their supplier's own range! So there you go - don't believe all you read on the net. Questions?"

Back