What do you think of Shimano ditching rim brakes in 105 and higher?

So what is the shifter option to use with say Ultegra or Dura Ace 12sp Rim Brake options?
It's the Ultegra and Dura Ace 12sp Rim Brake Shifters!

A lot of the media communication was very unclear - it was all click-bait SHIMANO KILLS CABLES, PANIC, PANIC! Likewise when they launched 105 Di2, they all neglected to mention that 105 mechanical was also going to be an option (albeit without rim brakes...)

I don't understand why they couldn't offer 105 with rim brakes/cable discs.
Luckily, Campag still offer rim/cable stuff in their range (for now)

Rim brake calipers are often objects of sheer beauty. Slight (imagined) improvements in braking power with discs matter not a jot to me. Beauty matters. It trumps all. 😻

Also, nobody who's over 10 years old 'needs' a new bike anyway. No adult 'needs' a new bike. You've got a bike already? Then just ride it.. Spend your cash on something you actually need.

Last edited:
nobody who's over 10 years old 'needs' a new bike anyway. No adult 'needs' a new bike. You've got a bike already? Then just ride it.. Spend your cash on something you actually need.

Careful. Have you not heard of N+1. There's a bikeshop owner here too.
You do have a point though, I should try & remember that one next time I'm trawling for parts. On the other hand, if you can't splash a few grand on a new bike when you are in your forties, when can you?

Back