Identify my (1950s?) Claud Butler track frame!

Re: Identify my (1950s?) Claude Butler track frame!

Thats come up really nice so far Don. What did you use?
Look forward to seeing this one come together :)

Jamie

Re:

Thanks Jamie!

Used nothing more powerful than warm, soapy water and baby wipes - took hours, but it was kind of cathartic. The previous owner had obviously left the frame next to his shed whilst creosoting! Then, I went for tin foil/coke and metal polish for the chrome.

To be honest, it's still not 100% clean, but that's all I could do without losing my rag! I'll definitely come back to the last few grease spot renegades, but they're safe for a couple of days.

Before I start the actual build, I'm thinking about the paint. Obviously it's going to keep its original Claud Butler paint, but should I touch up the bare spots? And if so, with what?

Re:

Thanks! It is lovely! :cool:

Build is probably going to be delayed while I move house, so there won't be any progress updates for a while.

In the meantime, here's a clean ass shot, showing the lovely pencil stays…

IMAG1777-1_zps8fuhcqob.jpg

Lugs came up nice, too…

IMAG1775-1_zps18o7ngpb.jpg

That's all for now. Cheers, Don

Re:

Not yet :( One day I'll give this beauty the build up it deserves. Until then it's the best wall art ever!

Thing is, I don't want to build a hip fixie and the forks need rechroming before anything else happens... and I have no suitable bits yet to get going!

Re: Re:

Well, this one even as a wall hanger can surly please the eye :LOL:
Should you however, decide to part with it, pls make sure you drop me a PM! :mrgreen:

Those CB bilams are lovely frames, built by real craftsmen, and they ride beautifully.
The U on the bottom bracket could well be a mark of the man who built that frame. It is not part of the frame number.

It would be worth trying to put it together with largely 1950s bits, and it needn't cost much if you go to a cycle jumble and steer clear of exotica.

It is, I think, a road/path frame, as it has brake drillings, so it would probably have been built using GB bars and stem , Williams C34 chainset, GB side pull brakes (but Weinmann were also available then), and a Brooks saddle. Early Brooks saddles can be costly, but the other bits are cheap enough and readily available.

As for wheels, you could go for some 70s or 80s small flange wheels, either 27s or 700c. No one will notice they are later as long as you fit some Amber wall tyres. Or go for sprints and tubs, which are often to be found at bargain prices at jumbles.

Good luck with the build!

Hi all,

Haven't been on this forum in ages (sorry) but I'm finally starting to build up this Olympic Sprint after 7 years of ownership...

So, I've sourced a decent 50s stem and bars, brake and saddle. Turning to the bottom bracket, which will have cottered cranks, I realise I have no idea about how to determine the right product/size. The shell is over 2.5in long (67mm) and the internal diameter is 1.5in. Is there an easy way to find a BB that will fit??

Thanks all!
Don

Latest posts

Back