Kona Kula 2000 - New member, first build thread

Nice project and great work on both the polishing and dropper post. I'd actually been thinking about plumping for the frame and trying a 1x set up, but you're doing a better job than i would be... Following for updates (and future inspiration maybe?)

Meant to say the lever looks pretty good there, but I suppose it does just look pretty 😏
Aesthetics are one thing, but a dropper remote is meant to be used with the hand on the grip, so that you can use it more often and do not need to plan ahead. Kind of defeats the purpose, I'd say. There are many different and also inexpensive remote levers available on the market. I'd suggest looking for another one.

Loving the fork, though!

Frame looks immaculate 😎.
I have my dropper post lever next to my left brake lever, dead easy to use without having to move my hand at all, same place as the shifter would be (only as it's 1x there's no shifter there 😉).

This evening's plan was to put those lovely forks on the frame, but it seems I miscalculated the height of the components and with the headset fitted, and a rather short stack height on the stem, it was around 15mm too short on the steerer of 180mm.

Luckily I had a similar fork, a little less tidy in the decals and slightly heavier by 230g. They fit perfectly and are fairly close to what I was planning - but I don't know when they were last serviced, so will have to see how they ride.

View attachment 798375

I also popped on the handlebars - they look massive in their original 800mm length, and will get cut down! It meant I could mount the dropper lever and with it being a CX fit lever the clamp is too big for the bars, but fits perfectly close to them stem and I think it looks pretty there - I'll let you know how safe it ends up being!

View attachment 798376View attachment 798377
img_20231122_210630574-jpg.798378

View attachment 798379
When the steerer on the Marzocchi for my junk scrap pump track bike was to short I fixed it with one of those. Maybe you know somebody who could make you one. Works just fine.
threema-20210810-220133672_1.jpg
Nice build, I like the dropper solution very much!

Attachments

• threema-20210807-141954063_1.jpg
    threema-20210807-141954063_1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 11
Wow pretty amazing build so far.

I was just wondering, did you weight the bare frame before mounting the existing parts?

Just curious to see how light it is since Easton tubes are known to be among the lightest of that era at least.

Back