Long cranks.

I must be an anomaly. I am fairly short 5'6.5", but I like longer cranks for leverage when climbing. I use 170s (never used anything shorter) for most riding (I tend to ride higher gears). My climber has the longer cranks (177.5mm); I am out of the saddle most of the time using that bike so leg extension is not a problem, but at an increase of only .3" it really is not an issue even during normal cycling. Never used 180mm or anything under 170mm so nothing to provide on that front

Last edited:
175mm were very much the norm for a long time. I had no issues with this as a teen, but just recently I've started riding a Marin I've thrown together that has 175's. I can really notice the difference from the 172.5's I'm used to on all my road bikes. Not so much the up & down but I really feel like my feet are having to throw out excessively for & aft in the pedal stroke. Granted it could be a geometry/bikefit issue but it just feels awful. One of my bikes has 170's & I am hoping to move all my bikes to 170 or even shorter as & when I can.

Shorter cranks effetively allows you to raise the saddle by the change of crank length in mm which at the top of the pedal stroke as the foot/leg rolls over the stroke, the knee should have less of an acute bend & alleviate any hip issues at this point, likewise a slightly straighter leg at this point should equal a little more power from those recruited muscles (at the top of the pedal stroke).

I have a pair of Campag Pista 177.5 cranks complete with Campag Pedals plus a couple of 151BCD rings to fit. They were on my '72 Dave Russell but never to be used again I reckon. If I were to sell them as a set I'd ask around £150?

As said before Been riding 177.5’s since 79 & wont change anytime soon as they work for me & comfortable with this length. Just ride whats comfortable for you.

Latest posts

Back