Pedals… what are they and how do I fix 'em up?

Diamant_Don

Retro Guru
Hi,

These chaps are on my Ian May…

IMAG1237_zpsab23cb70.jpg

Any idea what they are? No markings I can see, except perhaps a tiny stamped 'G' in a circle on the centre bare metal section and 'CM L' / '08 C' on the fitting bolt...

On a practical level, should I strip off the old paint and respray, or can you touch up pedals (oo er)?

Cheers,
Don

Diamant_Don":433iyr2d said:
Pedals… what are they and how do I fix 'em up?

They're usually fixed onto the end of the long stick things pointing down from the knuckle gouging pointy round thing on one side sort of in the middle of the bike. You need a big spanner to fix 'em up.

They look like Wellgo pedals to me. I thought LU-950 at first, same as I have on two of my bikes, but the tang on the back is different. Great budget pedals, about £15 per pair and last forever.

Re:

Cheers Jonny69! Would Wellgo's have any distinguishing markings? Also, what era are we talking about here? The bike seems to be set up with 1987-1988 components, but these maybe have an early 90s look?

The cage itself looks exactly the same as a Shimano MT60 cage (Deore) from about 87 - 89. The shaft doesnt though so I imagine it might be a budget copy.
Just my thoughts.

jamie

Re:

Thanks Jamie! So, late 80s… that fits in nicely with the date I have for my Ian May. I've had a good look around and seen a couple of Wellgo and Shimano pedals that seem close to the ones I have... Cheers for your input!

Re: Re:

Diamant_Don":lwk43yqu said:
Would Wellgo's have any distinguishing markings? Also, what era are we talking about here? The bike seems to be set up with 1987-1988 components, but these maybe have an early 90s look?
Mine have a white Wellgo logo on the end. No idea on the original era, but you can still buy them new.

Re:

Cheers - no marks at all on mine… :?

Anyway, I've tried to repaint the bare metal sections using Hammerite smooth black paint, but the two coats I applied have worn off on the first ride. :facepalm: Does anyone know a hard-wearing metal paint that's up to the job?

Ta,
Don

Back