Rapido Retro Bike (Help Please)

Kinetic-UK

Retro Guru
Hi all. Me again. I have a friend from Canada who wants to know the information on his Rapido. All he knows is his dad got it in the 70's.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

p4pb7417248.jpg

p4pb7417211.jpg

p4pb7417202.jpg

p4pb7417283.jpg

p4pb7417275.jpg

p4pb7417218.jpg

p4pb7417278.jpg

p4pb7417192.jpg

Thanks.

Agree with 1duck.
The adhesive decals could be applied anywhere.
The rear fork ends appear tp be gas welded to the seat and chain stays.
There should be date code on the rear hub.
My first impression was east europe, imitation of a low end british cheap bike.

It's a nice looking bike though, I like it. It's the sort of thing you'd see people knocking about the trendy areas of New York on.

Jonny69":1024f2cz said:
It's a nice looking bike though, I like it. It's the sort of thing you'd see people knocking about the trendy areas of New York on.

yeah i like it as well, it looks solid sort of bike no one is going to steal and would probably out last us all with a little bit of care.

Re: Rapido

The Rapido was a low quality bike. Generally sold in hardware stores such as Rona franchises in Montreal. The distributor was a company on Trans Canada Highway near Cavendish. The Czechoslovakian distributor was also the agent for Barum tires (orange colored knock-offs of hutchinson tyres) and Favorit ten speeds. It was said that the company was a front for Soviet spy communications. Conveniently, Motokov inc was sharing a wall with a satellite company in the same bldg from the 1970s right up to the late 80s. The satellite equipment sold next door back then was hi-tech stuff, not what we think of for personal entertainment as we know it today and since the 1990s for direct to home or sports bar use. Plausibly a front, back then if they couln't give you change for a part, the staff would take whatever you wanted to pay if you had smaller bills. The staff wore darh suits and had one teen aged kid up front who spoke perfect english who also spoke slavic. Summer of 81 my brother drove me there at closing time. I was 15. I remember the Brezhniev looking boss telling the kid to screw the money and to just gimme the tires i bought. Half of the dozen tires I bought bubbled on the sidewalls and blew from friction. The frames were very well built and light. All other parts like the quick release axles, derailleurs, and brake shoes were pure crap. I owned a fleet of them bought on my family's company expense account at a Rona store. Cannibalized parts from Peugeots made for great cruisers. I treasured my bike more than my Porsche today.

Hello, I just got my hands on a really old Rapido kids bike 18 inch made in czechoslovakia. It’s light blue with white fenders. Are you able to tell which year it is approximately ? I just read your post about the store in Montreal. ( I grew up there) it’s fascinating thanks for sharing.

Hello, I just got my hands on a really old Rapido kids bike 18 inch made in Czechoslovakia. It’s light blue with white fenders. Are you able to tell which year it is approximately ? I just read your post about the store in Montreal. ( I grew up there) it’s fascinating thanks for sharing.
We might be able to tell the date from the components installed (if original). If it has a Sturmey-Archer hub, as mentioned earlier, there should be a date code on it (last 2 digits of year, and number of the month in which it was built; I do have a hub with date code 69 13, but I am unaware of a calendar with 13 months!).
Regarding Favorit, they made just about everything from low end bikes to high end racers; my Favorit being somewhere in the middle of the line-up.

Last edited:
Back