Royal Mail charges

mdvineng

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've been using the Royal Mail Click and drop for a few years now. Today I paid online for postage and printed off the label as usual. My options included free pick up from my home but I decided a walk and drop off at the local post office. All good until I get home, to find that I've just been charged 20p for dropping it off! Now that's a first for me and they cited that I'd agreed to it in the terms and conditions etc.
From now on, they can pick up, unless I discover more layers of underground charges.

Not just that but select the free label option when you arrange pickup and they (99% of the time) bring it with them. I just leave mine by the front door with the postcodes written on at least two sides and go to work, unless it’s something valuable then I just arrange for a day my significant other is working from home. Easy peasy.

The real kicker is that they offer on the website, a whole host of options but some are not related to local post Office services but only sorting offices or parcel force. So if you don't select tracking, no charge for dropping it off at a local PO, select tracking and get a 20p charge for dropping it off at a local PO. 😮‍💨

I had this too: some POs are Delivery Offices with a lesser charge (esp rural); so clicked nearest Delivery Office; which was my local post office, and got the 20p spank. I lived.

But rewind a bit; you can get them to come and pick up a tracked parcel, next day, bring the labels with them (save your printer ink, it’s more expensive than Champagne!), & take it from your designated safe space all for a few quid. It works really well out here in the sticks where you get to know your postie.

I’m guessing it’s in the hope that’s the public get used to having parcels collected from home. Allows them to slowly close post offices without uproar in the future. And then the prices will rise.

It possibly is but when they’re constantly reducing the service and standards of that service it reduces people’s interest and confidence.

Back