Show me your.....Funks

Here is my 1992 Funk Combat Titanium. You can follow the whole story here:

FUNK Titanium Combat Retro MTB Frame by Falko Schlötel Germany 01.jpeg

FUNK Titanium Combat Retro MTB Frame by Falko Schlötel Germany 09.jpeg

with the FUNK Suspension Fork II and my Elastomer Kits:

FUNK Suspension Fork II Parts by Falko Schlötel Germany 01.jpeg

FUNK Suspension Fork II Elastomers by Falko Schlötel Germany 01.jpg

Purchased and brought home this beauty tonight ... <3

Finding a FUNK in Germany is indeed super rare! 1992ish House of Kolor Hot Pink!

Including an earlyer Cook Bros crank set and a brand new NOS Flite Titanium in white of 1995.

FUNK Frame Hot Pink House of Kolor of Falko Schlötel Germany 01.jpeg

FUNK Frame Hot Pink House of Kolor of Falko Schlötel Germany 02.jpeg

FUNK Frame Hot Pink House of Kolor of Falko Schlötel Germany 03.jpeg

Hi all,
I have posted this also in mtb-news.de to get an answer for the manufacture date of this frame.
Due to the position of the cable stops and the "redirect wheel" of the front derailleur the frame could be from 1991,
but what's about the seat post clamp position? I was not able to find any other Funk frame with this
position of the seat post clamp. Does anyone have an idea or hint regarding the year of the frame?
Are there any information available due to the serial number convention Funk was using?
I would like to rebuild the Funk with time correct parts, so for this it would be great to know the year of the frame.
Thx for your support ...

20231201_164354.jpg

I don’t you’re too far off as the frame has all the early elements i.e. screw in cable stops, riveted guides on the top tube and the pointed seat tube.

Not seen one with a front derailleur pulley and boss before plus the seat clamp is a bit of a head scratcher. I suppose it could have been added after but there’s no definitive spec.

I don’t you’re too far off as the frame has all the early elements i.e. screw in cable stops, riveted guides on the top tube and the pointed seat tube.

Not seen one with a front derailleur pulley and boss before plus the seat clamp is a bit of a head scratcher. I suppose it could have been added after but there’s no definitive spec.
Thx for your feedback - later the day I will take some detail photos from the seat clamp ...

One more for the FUNK gallery! Now here is a rare rare bird! A 1989 SCOTT "Superlite Evolution" Made by FUNK.

A little bit of history here. Presumably in mid 1989, when elevated chainstays became the new thing, SCOTT wanted to jump on board but didnt have an own model. The EICMA Milano (international motorcycle & bicycle exhibition) was happening in the fall of 1989 and SCOTT decided to have a model designed and produced by Daryl FUNK for that exhibition and until they had their own later model "Evolution" since the cataloge year 1991. You can easily find that all over the used market here and there. In the german "BIKE" magazine no#1 of January 1990 you find a page with highlights of the Milano exhibition showing the bike with slight design / decal differences.

So far, I only know of 2 of these bikes! Both in the hands of the same owner. He kept the better one and sold me this one - alongside with a box of a FUNK suspension forks lot (which I lay next to mine I already have in the last picture)
Also, there is to say, that the one he kept has a serial number in the usual FUNK typical spot! This one here that I purchased does not have any serial number at all.

Obviosly, this is a Pro-Comp model of that time.

1989 SCOTT Evolution designed by FUNK of Falko Schlötel Germany 01.jpeg

1989 SCOTT Evolution designed by FUNK of Falko Schlötel Germany 02.jpeg

1989 SCOTT Evolution designed by FUNK of Falko Schlötel Germany 03.jpeg

1989 SCOTT Evolution designed by FUNK of Falko Schlötel Germany 04.jpeg

An anomaly… Mine must be a bit later than yours as mines has welded stops and a pulley. I placed mine at ‘91/‘92.

Last edited:
Back