STX crank BCD

Kentphil

Retro Guru
Does anyone know what the BCD for a STX crank is? Its not the RC version (if that matters).

I'm thinking of going single speed on my winter bike for road only use. I thought about a 39t ring?

I remember STX cranks being a bit of an odd size, so could I find a modern ring to fit them?

thanks in advance :)

The ones with the inner ring attached to the middle were 95mm pcd. Exactly 1mm different. Nasty trick, Mr Shimano. :(

New chainrings are extortionately expensive, you're better off finding a decent 2nd hand chainset with detachable alloy rings for the same money ~£20.

If you are lucky you can find an adaptor that Pace made BITD to convert STX cranks to normal BCD. Although you can probably get LX or even XT cranks for not much more...

Think Pace did it because there were some decent frames with STX on them and it helped them sell more chain rings.

I have posted about it before let me dig the thread out to remember the RC number.

<Edit> RC21

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/search/i...rc&cof=FORID:9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=RC21&sa=Search

pace did it because an stx with adaptor and pace rings was a bit lighter than XTR
and significantly cheaper

STX-RC FC-M36 is the 94 BCD one to look out for. Not a bad crank at all for a double or SS with a 107mm BB and after market chainrings.

Woz":3rn6skt7 said:
STX-RC FC-M36 is the 94 BCD one to look out for. Not a bad crank at all for a double or SS with a 107mm BB and after market chainrings.

Not a bad crank if you can find one that isn't cracked at the spider/doesn't crack two weeks after you buy them.

Found this on mtb-news.de

Pace-RC21-ChainringSpider.jpg

Love to see a pic with rings on.

Excuse me, but why bother with such weak cranks??? I can understand if you have them in VGC and have a themed bike in mind, but only for their sake? Aftermarket rings? Adapters? Come on! I remember how bad that aluminium was. The only one which I learned was worse was tha CT90 series Altus. It's not even worth a sentence.

Mx

Here's a photo with Pace rings.....
The arms were powder coated.

15012009145.jpg

I've got the stx cranks above on me E4 now. Had a set on the Zaskar too.

I've also got a pair (and adapter) ready to go on the Z's replacement when it gets built.

I've not had a pair crack yet and they're light when built up with Pace rings too.

Tim at Fork English might have an adapter if you ask......just a thought ;)

Back