What Degreaser?

I’ve had a bad experience with using Engine Degreaser, especially on aluminium parts. Luckily it was on a cassette what would be replaced in the future. Washing up liquid and an ultrasonic cleaner from EBay. Plus Muc Off drive chain cleaner, I buy the large 5l can form Amazon (works out at about £8 per bottle) 👍🏼

...No-Nonsense degreaser from Screwfix...
This is a good choice, I use it for most jobs. For really old caked on grease I pull out the Diversey heavy duty degreaser (Suma Break up D3.5), which is expensive industrial grade, but as an ex chef with contacts in the trade I can always arrange for a litre or two to come my way. Very powerful stuff used for cleaning ovens, air extraction filters and deep fat fryers. Nothing eats grease like it, but you really need to take precautions with PPE.

The best degreaser is the one that doesn't need to be bought: just prevent your drivetrain to become a mess in the first place.
It is very much like your bathroom: if you clean it regularly at least once a week, you won't have build-up of limescale and other dirt, so no need for very specific products.
Most people don't understand that too much oil on the chain does actually make it stiffer, hence more friction, so the bike is arguably slower.
Your really don't want a rear derailleur like this.

Attachments

• sporcizia5.jpg
    sporcizia5.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 12
+1 for elbow grease,

just done a set of wheels that havent been cleaned since 92 by the looks of it and it worked really well to be honest

Thanks Greencat
Elbow Grease is marketed or eerily similar to Dasty sold by the Wibra.
It is really good degreaser, not very friendly for aluminium if you keep it on the surface iirc.

Latest posts

Back