(Yet another) Ellis Briggs.

peetee

Senior Retro Guru
I’ve always been in to classic British steel road bikes. It took me a while to register Ellis Briggs on my radar. It was a frame bought on this very forum that switched me on. I’m eternally grateful to whoever it was who allowed me to buy it. Sorry, I can’t remember, fellow Retrobiker.
Several years later I’ve just bagged my third. A chance find in a bike charity where I volunteer. It has, I’ve been told, a cracked BB shell - I’ve yet to inspect it. Because of this, it was unsellable to the general public so a price was thrown at me that was, well, even if it turns out to be a piece of wall art, unrefusable.
I will contact the folks in Shipley in due course; other EB owners might do well to know the shop is attempting to collate a database on surviving bikes and frames.
A wild stab in the dark would be mid 70’s but I will find out in due course.
F046BDE4-FBE9-4EB7-9A4C-126C4B9C2BBA.jpeg

Looks nice - hope the BB isn't cracked. I have an Ellis Briggs that was gifted to me by the previous owner - I believe that its a mid 70's Favori of some sort from what he told me of the frame before it was resprayed. Mine doesn't have the touring light mount on the fork - I've always associated those with older bikes. wonder if yours has an older frame that got resprayed during an update/upgrade at a later period.

Interesting news about the firm trying to build a database of serial numbers. I reached out to them a few years back asking for information about my frame and never heard back from them. Maybe time to try again.

Very nice! Looks similar to one I have, which EB dated to 1973 when I gave them the serial number. Mine is branded Favori and they had the name of the person who ordered it on file and that was the person I bought it from.
It was also a few years ago now so I'm surprised they couldn't help you dirttorpedo.

Very nice! Looks similar to one I have, which EB dated to 1973 when I gave them the serial number. Mine is branded Favori and they had the name of the person who ordered it on file and that was the person I bought it from.
It was also a few years ago now so I'm surprised they couldn't help you dirttorpedo.
Maybe you need to call (I'm overseas and used email). Here is the link to the thread on my bike

Oh, you should finish them up. Mine is very nice to ride.
You’re right, of course. My bike projects are taking a back seat to fixing other people’s bikes (my job) and building a new workshop. The latter is pretty needy as l’m working in a fully loaded 8x8 shed - and it’s murder!

You’re right, of course. My bike projects are taking a back seat to fixing other people’s bikes (my job) and building a new workshop. The latter is pretty needy as l’m working in a fully loaded 8x8 shed - and it’s murder!
Yes, time to work on bikes is at a premium and if its your day job I could see it being even more difficult to motivate yourself to finish a project build. I will say though that the ride of my Ellis Briggs compared to my other vintage road bike is significantly nicer.

Back