Campagnolo Parts Compatibility Question:

Jared Purdy

Dirt Disciple
Greetings, new poster here.

Greetings, I posted this same question on another forum but I'm not getting any hits, so I thought I'd try it here.

I took my 93 Record 8 speed hub a part yesterday as I discovered that the bearings were too tight. When I took it apart, I discovered that the rubber o-ring on the freehub is snapped and the seal over the bearings on the drive side is also missing.

I was looking at the the 93 Campagnolo Record product range link I've posted below, and it shows that there were two hub versions that year (and possibly other years as well). There was a Record, and a Super Record. The main difference between them is the hub material. The Record freehub body is steel (and very heavy) and the Super Record freehub body is aluminum (light). Ever measurement between the two hubs as displayed in the product description is exacly the same.

As it happens, there's a NOS Super Record version (apparently from around 91') for sale on eBay. As I'm looking to find a new o-ring and the missing seal for mine, I was thinking that I could just buy the NOS versions and use some of the parts on mine - so long as they fit.

I know that not all versions are compatible. My biggest concern is if the Super Record freehub body would fit, and secondly if they both have the same splines so that I could use the same cassettes? If they were drilled for the same number of spokes, I'd just get the rear wheel rebuilt with the new one, but my hub is 36 hole and the Super Record is 28.

Do any of you have in-depth knowledge as to this compatibility question?
Cheers, JP

Link to retrobike article: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery...xOu5rT5gfxv78id-xCFmp_AvpXa8pgZXqT2W39B34qUKy

If its just an o ring and a seal, it might be easier to just buy something close - hardware ships have a selection of o rings, and the seal could possibly be cut out of a sheet of suitable material?
If you pack well with grease and keep an eye on it, it should be ok for the short to medium term.

Then you could keep a look out for a similar 36h hub to swap, or the same model to pinch the correct parts in the future, get the proper solution in the long term

If its just an o ring and a seal, it might be easier to just buy something close - hardware ships have a selection of o rings, and the seal could possibly be cut out of a sheet of suitable material?
If you pack well with grease and keep an eye on it, it should be ok.

you could also keep a look out for a similar 36h hub to swap, or the same model to pinch the correct parts in the future.
Thanks. I took a look on the product listing from a US based parts store, and wouldn't you know it, they're out of the o-rings!! There's no mention of the drive side seal that I'd like to get.

I hear what you say. Given the age of this bike (aside from the o-ring and the missing seal in the rear hub) it's incredibly pristine. The bike (a 1992 Marinoni SLX Special with a full 1993 Record 8 speed groupo and 5th generation Delta brakes) is in near show room condition. It was apparently hanging on a wall in a house for the last ten tears. It has seen very little use (which doesn't really explain the dirty grease in the rear hub or the poor service job on it, who ever did it last). I've completely cleaned out the hub and regressed it with white grease. It's spins like a new hub.

The paint and the chrome on the frame is spectacular for a bike that is 32 years old. This bike will never see rain, as long as it is on my possession. So, I'm not particularly worried about dirt getting in there, and it's not going to be ridden all the time. I have other bikes for that. However, with bikes, I tend to lean towards OCD!!

I'd like to try to get the parts, and if possible, replace the boat anchor-like weight of the steel free hub body with the aluminum version. There's a local high end Campy store in Toronto, Canada (where I live) that I'm waiting to open today to see if they at least have the o-ring and the bearing seal. In the mean time, I'm on the prowl for either a NOS or used 1993 Super Record 8 speed hub, 36 holes. Chances of finding one? Not great!!

Aluminium freehub bodies require cassette sprockets mounted on an alloy carrier - unlikely Currently with campy 8 speed.
If you use steel sprockets they quite quickly eat into an alloy freehub body.
Better to just live with the weight, and fit lighter tyres😉

If its just used in the dry, you can pack the hub with grease and go ride. "sealed bearings" only really became popular with mountain bikes. Before that, the grease kept the dirt out on its own!

As far as I recall, the drive side bearings on Campag 7&8 speed freehubs weren't shielded as the freehub body did the work. Later 8 speed hubs had a drive side bearing shield and (I think) a different O ring.
The early O-ring code is #7100083. Later O-ring (which may be the same - who knows?) is FH-RE012 and the shield is FH-RE150.

Aluminium freehub bodies require cassette sprockets mounted on an alloy carrier - unlikely Curbridge with campy 8 speed.
If you use steel sprockets they quite quickly eat into an alloy freehub body.
Better to just live with the weight, and fit lighter tyres😉

If its just used in the dry, you can pack the hub with grease and go ride. "sealed bearings" only really became popular with mountain bikes. Before that, the grease kept the dirt out on its own!
Good points! I never thought about the steel cogs munching away at the alloy body. That being said, the cogs on a Record 10 speed and a Super Record 11 speed (I have both) are a mix of titanium cogs and steel cogs. My Record 10 speed is approaching 20 years old and the aluminum free hub body is showing little sign of wear and tear from the steel cogs that are on it, and that bike (Colnago Master) has been ridden a lot. My C60 with BORA WTO45 isn't nearly as old, but the Super Record hub that's on it isn't showing any fatigue from the mix of steel and titanium cogs. When it's time to replace the Super Record cassette, I'm going to be using Chorus cassettes ( I have a few) and they're made of steel.

As far as I recall, the drive side bearings on Campag 7&8 speed freehubs weren't shielded as the freehub body did the work. Later 8 speed hubs had a drive side bearing shield and (I think) a different O ring.
The early O-ring code is #7100083. Later O-ring (which may be the same - who knows?) is FH-RE012 and the shield is FH-RE150.
Thanks. I watched a youtube video yesterday of a disassembly and reassembly of an 8 speed Athena hub and there was a seal on the drive side (and the non-drive side as well). Here's a link: https://www.google.com/search?clien...ate=ive&vld=cid:eec0d8c2,vid:fZaVtaMB2lY,st:0

The guy in the video doesn't say what year the hub is, and I'm not sure what the differences are between the Athena and the Record from that period???

Iirc 8 speed exadrive campag cassettes fit on the newer 9speed fhbs, but not the other way round.
You will end up though with a much smaller contact patch than it was designed for...

Info about the different Campagnolo freehubs here.
I think there's something strange on that Ebay. It's certainly a 1990s hub as the axle is threaded but the the curved valley freehub spline pattern looks very much like the later 9/10/11 pattern that was introduced sometime after 2000. It's unlikely that your 8 speed sprockets will fit.

Back