The Unofficial Official Photography Thread...

Man Great memories !!
How long were you there ?
Just under three years. Tried to find a local job but the salaries were very low indeed. Gin went to £1.47 by the time we left ☹️ Gordon's gin was about £18. A local brewery that was set up by the Germans many years ago, still made beers to the German purity laws, including a Dunkel Lager😋 4 pack around 50p. Food in the shops and local restaurants, Café s etc was superb as long as you avoided Girne harbour tourist trap, food ok but high price for the view. People were fantastic, often asking us where we were from, especially when stopped at the traffic lights, replies "from the UK" were met with cheers. World cup year, was a big party every day and massive fireworks when Turkey won. My Uncle was part of the UN forces in 73 on, he didn't want to leave either. Might have some more pics but they'll be from 7x5 prints.
One trip through the mountains found a sign, offering fresh Orange juice, so we stopped by for some drinks and left with a sack of Oranges as a parting gift 🤷 A trip out West brought us to the last beach before the Greek border, deserted, great for a swim we thought, then the Military arrived and pointed back down the road we'd just come down. All very pleasant though, I don't think that they saw anybody else for weeks on end.

Just under three years. Tried to find a local job but the salaries were very low indeed. Gin went to £1.47 by the time we left ☹️ Gordon's gin was about £18. A local brewery that was set up by the Germans many years ago, still made beers to the German purity laws, including a Dunkel Lager😋 4 pack around 50p. Food in the shops and local restaurants, Café s etc was superb as long as you avoided Girne harbour tourist trap, food ok but high price for the view. People were fantastic, often asking us where we were from, especially when stopped at the traffic lights, replies "from the UK" were met with cheers. World cup year, was a big party every day and massive fireworks when Turkey won. My Uncle was part of the UN forces in 73 on, he didn't want to leave either. Might have some more pics but they'll be from 7x5 prints.
One trip through the mountains found a sign, offering fresh Orange juice, so we stopped by for some drinks and left with a sack of Oranges as a parting gift 🤷 A trip out West brought us to the last beach before the Greek border, deserted, great for a swim we thought, then the Military arrived and pointed back down the road we'd just come down. All very pleasant though, I don't think that they saw anybody else for weeks on end.
Great read and fond memories.
Thanks for sharing them man
Have you been back since ?

Great read and fond memories.
Thanks for sharing them man
Have you been back since ?
Sadly not. The increased development has changed so much of the wild areas and especially the beaches and coves, which are now heavily built up with villa or hotel complexes. Might still go though, I did look at potential holiday locations last year but didn't do anything 🤷

Sadly not. The increased development has changed so much of the wild areas and especially the beaches and coves, which are now heavily built up with villa or hotel complexes. Might still go though, I did look at potential holiday locations last year but didn't do anything 🤷
I thought as much. It is quite sad to see the slow march of consumerism and tourism radically changing - for the worst - something which was hitherto unique and special and connected with times past. It’s one reason why I enjoy visiting parts of the world where there isn’t much tourism

Latest posts

Back